Test Bank For Personal Nutrition 8th Edition by Marie A
Test Bank for Personal Nutrition 8e
Chapter 3 – Anatomy for Nutrition’s Sake
Question information key:
ANS = correct answer; REF = textbook page reference; TOP = question topic
1. Another term for amylase is _____.
ANS: b REF: 75 TOP: The Digestive System—The Mouth
2. What may happen if the lower esophageal sphincter is not closed tight enough after eating?
b. High blood pressure
ANS: a REF: 79 TOP: The Digestive System—The Esophagus
3. The digestion of which nutrient occurs in the stomach?
a. Vitamin B12
ANS: d REF: 78 TOP: The Digestive System—The Stomach
4. Which of the following controls the flow of chyme into the small intestine?
a. Lower esophageal sphincter
b. Pyloric sphincter
c. Ileocecal valve
d. Oral cavity
ANS: b REF: 76 TOP: The Digestive System—The Stomach
5. Which substance neutralizes stomach acid as chyme enters the small intestine?
ANS: d REF: 79 TOP: The Digestive System—Small Intestine
6. Which nutrient stimulates peristalsis when present?
ANS: b REF: 79 TOP: The Digestive System—Small Intestine
7. All of the following are examples of the smaller units that larger nutrients are broken down into except:
c. fatty acids.
d. amino acids.
ANS: a REF: 79 TOP: The Digestive System—Small Intestine
8. What is left after the digested mixture reaches the end of the small intestine?
a. Dissolved minerals
c. Amino acids
ANS: a REF: 80 TOP: The Digestive System—Small Intestine
9. Which of the following is present in feces?
b. Bile pigments
e. All of the above
ANS: e REF: 82 TOP: The Digestive System—Large Intestine
10. Joe finds himself troubled with gas after eating certain foods. Which is not true about intestinal gas?
a. It comes directly from the food.
b. Another name for it is “flatus.”
c. It is produced from bacterial fermentation.
d. The quantity of the gas depends on the types of foods eaten.
e. The quality of the gas depends on the types of foods eaten.
ANS: a REF: 82 TOP: The Digestive System—Large Intestine
There are no reviews yet.