Human Resources Management in Canada Canadian 12th Edition Dessler Test Bank
Exam Name___________________________________MULTIPLE CHOICE. Choose the one alternative that best completes the statement or answers the question.1) Which of the following jobs could be analyzed effectively using direct observation? 1)A) accounting clerkB) human resources manager C) design engineerD) lawyerE) Any of the above jobs could be analyzed using direct observation.Answer: A Explanation: A)B) C) D) E)
- 2) The job analysis technique that involves 194 items, each of which represents a basic element that 2) may or may not play an important role in the job, is known as:A) functional job analysis.B) a position analysis questionnaire (PAQ). C) the point factor method.D) a structured survey.E) a participant diary/log.Answer: B Explanation: A)B) C) D) E)
- 3) The process of systematically organizing work into tasks is involved in: 3) A) job design.B) job analysis.C) job evaluation.D) organizational design. E) writing job descriptions.Answer: A Explanation: A)B) C) D) E)
- 4) An organization chart is often used to depict the structure of an organization. The chart is also used 4) to:A) present a “snapshot” of the firm at a particular point in time.B) clarify the chain of command and show who is accountable to whom. C) indicate the types of departments established in the firm.D) specify duties and responsibilities. E) There are no exceptions listed above.Answer: B Explanation: A)B) C) D) E)
- 5) Which job analysis technique is meaningless for jobs requiring mental effort? 5) A) direct observationB) a position analysis questionnaire C) a survey questionnaireD) an individual interviewE) a participant diary/logAnswer: A Explanation: A)B) C) D) E)
- 6) James Martini is the Director of HR for Study Inc. He is working on a project to restructure the 6) organization. At the moment, the organization has a top-down management approach with many levels of management. Jobs are highly specified with a narrow focus. It wants to move into a more decentralized management approach with a high focus on teams and customer service. The organization is planning to move from a ________ organization to a ________ organization.A) flat, bureaucraticB) bureaucratic, flatC) bureaucratic, boundarylessD) boundaryless, flat E) none of the aboveAnswer: B Explanation: A)B) C) D) E)
- 7) Maria is the Vice President of Operations for a company in the retail industry. She has 10 store 7) managers and 200 associates. The associates report to the store managers and they in turn report to Maria. Management has a decentralized approach towards individual stores. This company has the structure of a:A) bureaucratic organization. B) decentralized organization. C) boundaryless organization.D) hierarchical organization. E) flat organization.Answer: E Explanation: A)B) C) D) E)
- 8) Collecting job analysis information generally involves 8) A) an external consultant.B) the jobholder’s immediate supervisor. C) a member of senior management. D) peer, groups.E) a union representative.Answer: B Explanation: A)B) C) D) E)
- 9) The following data collection method of job analysis can be used structured, unstructured or in 9) combination. When structured, questions are read to job holders and supervisors and/or fixedresponse choices are provided. When unstructured, questions are posed to job holders andsupervisors and/or general response choices are provided. This is called the:A) group interview method.B) individual interview method. C) observation method.D) diary/log method.E) questionnaire method.Answer: B Explanation: A)B) C) D) E)
10) Which of the following statements related to legal compliance is true? 10)A) If a candidate is unable to perform one or more of the essential job duties due to a physical disability, it is legally permissible for an employer to refuse to hire that individual.
- B) Canadian employers are legally obligated to have job descriptions.
- C) If a candidate is unable to work on Friday evenings due to religious beliefs, and rotating shiftsare a job requirement specified in the working conditions subsection of the job description, thereasonable accommodation provisions of human rights legislation do not apply.
- D) When assessing suitability for employment, employers can assess factors other than thoserelated to the knowledge, skills and abilities required for the essential job duties.
- E) Indicating the percentage of time spent on each duty can help to differentiate betweenessential and nonessential tasks and responsibilities.
Answer: E Explanation: A)B) C) D) E)